May 20, 2010

Back to the Crutches!

†A little back ground of me: On June 1, 2003 early in the AM I rode my horse (Rose) back to my friends house. We had a sleepover the night before and our horses had a sleep over too! I know, cute huh! She had a softball game at the local rec. department (so did I! I just didn't know I did!) so she had to get home! Anyways, I was on my way back to my house, riding bareback on Rose and she slipped walking onto some concrete from the grass, right in front of their Barn/Shop area. We went down and all I remember was a big "Umph" from both of us.

Before I knew it I was on my feet, well foot, with my boot ripped off my other foot. A german man that was working in their shop heard he and ran outside and grabbed me up like superman and took me into the shop. It set me on a wood working table and left me! He didn't speak english very well... I know that was just perfect... so all I remember was saying "go get help!!" He puttered up to the house on the golf cart and soon Mary and Carol were there. 

Mary and Carol are my neighbors nannies and they are the sweetest women!! Carol took me to the ER in our small town. I got there and my dad wasn't there yet. Mary found him at the ball park and he was on his way to the hospital.. while the police were on their way to the ball park to find him. A family friend was my nurse and she and the doctor were fighting about if I was going to get pain medicine or not. She said 'I know this child and I am giving her pain medicine!!"
 I wasn't there long! They moved me to another hospital.. a bigger hospital! My doctor was amazing. I saw him today! :)  Ended up that my metatarsals were dislocated out of all five joints and a couple of them were broken and fractured. I had surgery that night when my mom and sister got back from a senior cruise they had just gotten off of. I remember the doctor telling my parents that it was going to be a difficult task, but when he got done he said he did a heck of a good job and that he was exceptionally pleased! 5+ months on crutches later and a hardware removal surgery later I was on my feet again! I limped for almost a year before it went away.

Now almost 8 years later, I am back on crutches! BUT only for a few days I hope! Somehow, a cyst formed on the very top of my foot. A ganglion cyst. 
This is what my foot looked like right before surgery! Yummy huh.

My doctor told mom,after he removed it, that it had tentacles like an octopus wrapped around the main nerve that runs along the top of the foot. Well about 2 hours ago.. I could tell that! I had my foot elevated and I have never been in so much pain in my life. My friend leslie witnessed. I felt bad she saw my like that, but it hurt so bad! I was thinking "I have nerve damage... does it need blood flow? does it need to be elevated for no blood flow?" Well I decided to get up and walk around to see what would happen. It instantly went away. It was incredible. So... no more elevating my foot! This is what it looks like right now!

I'll have to post a picture in a few days when I can take the bandage off.

The surgery went well, I got to talk to all the nurses about my future nursing career and my anesthesiologist! He was really nice as well. My Doctor said to get in touch with him if I wanted to go around with an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist to make sure that's what I want to do. I'm really excited!


Keepsake's Mom said...

Wow, what an ordeal. Glad you are going to be ok. Horses are sure hard on our bodies but we don't mind.

CHERI said...

We are so sorry about your foot! I had one of those g. cyst thingies years ago. No fun but thankfully went away on its own so no surgery! Don't overdo! We love you!

Brooke said...

ok so you totally left me out of the story. haha. Victor was hungarian, and a crazy person, and we thought you were dead when he came to the house. You were in so much pain, I started crying after you got admitted. I sat in the perry hospital in my pj's with Mrs. Carol forever, and they wouldn't tell us anything. I was amazed that you were able to walk after that!

So sorry you had to have surgery again. Love your blog!